Brilliant: combine two classic winter warmers into one delicious dish. Creamy, pungent Scharfe Maxx is the star here. It melts like a dream and its big, oniony flavor makes this mac over the top savory.
- 2 large onions cut into thin strips
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ lb pancetta, cut into quarter inch strips (optional, or use bacon!)
- 1 lb pasta of your choice (we like Martelli Maccheroni), cooked a few minutes shy of the instructions
- 2 cups grated Scharfe Maxx (about a 1/2 lb)
- 2 cups grated Emmenthaler (about a 1/2 lb)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- In a large sautÃ© pan set over medium-low heat, add the onions and olive oil and cook until caramelized, about 40 minutes. Be attentive, don’t overstir. When nicely browned and very soft, place in a bowl and set aside.
- In the same pan set over medium high heat, cook pancetta until crispy, about 8-10 minutes. Remove and reserve pancetta.
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Once melted, whisk in flour. Cook for 3-4 minutes, until mixture gets slightly darker in color. Add milk to the butter and flour mixture and stir constantly until it comes to a boil. Once the BÃ©chamel boils, it will start to thicken. Once thick whisk in the cheeses, stirring until melted.
- Stir in the cooked pasta, the onions and the pancetta until well combined.
- Pour into a large baking dish, Dutch oven or cast iron pan and Bake at 375 degree oven for 45 minutes until lightly browned on top.