In our search for the elixir of lifeâ€”AKA the perfect mac and cheeseâ€”we’ve tasted many-a recipe, and to paraphrase those Brooklyn bards, the Beastie Boys, we’ve been â€œworking harder than ever, and you can call it macking.â€ At long last, our cheese alchemy has led us to THE ONE: a recipe we can’t keep secret, a dish so perfectly balanced and proportioned we must share it with you immediately!
Murray’s Classic Mac & Cheese
- 8 ounces Fontina Val d’Aosta, grated
- 8 ounces Spring Brook Reading, grated
- 6 ounces Comte St. Antoine, grated
- 2 ounces Cabot Cheddar, finely grated
- 1 half onion, skin removed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves
- 1 quart milk
- 8 tablespoons butter
- ½ clove garlic, grated
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, minced
- Zest of 1 lemon
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Cut a slit into the halved onion and place a bay leaf in the slit. Stick the 2 cloves into the onion. Placing the milk in a saucepan over medium low heat and add the onion.
3. In a separate saucepan, make a Mornay sauce: melt 5 tablespoons butter and add the grated garlic. Slowly add the flour, whisking to combine, and cook for 2 minutes. Remove the onion from the warm milk and discard. Ladle in the warm milk to the butter and flour mixture (called a “roux”), whisking constantly, until combined and smooth. Add the nutmeg, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Add 5 ounces Fontina Val d’Aosta and 5 ounces Spring Brook Reading. Then add 3 ounces Comte St. Antoine and whisk until well combined.
4. In a large pot, bring water to a boil and add salt. Add the macaroni and cook until al dente. Strain the macaroni and place into a bowl. Add the remaining grated cheeses and toss to combine.
5. Pour the Mornay sauce over the macaroni and toss to combine. In a small sautÃ© pan, melt 3 tablespoons butter and add the Panko breadcrumbs, thyme, and lemon zest. Place the combined macaroni and cheese into a shallow baking dish and top with the breadcrumbs. Bake for 20 minutes and serve right away.
Not in the mood to cook? Check out our prepared mac and cheese, which comes in three insanely delicious flavors: classic plain, basil artichoke, and pulled pork. We’ll deliver dinner straight to your door…all you need to do it heat it in the oven and enjoy. Click here to shop Murray’s prepared mac and cheese.