Featuring Gruyere and Nueske’s Bacon
From Chef Harold Moore of Commerce
We’re all about any recipe that celebrates the flavors of the season and combines them with the year-round indulgences of cheese and cured meat. Here’s a simple and delicious side dish that makes good use of the squash and apples that are abundant at the farmer’s markets this time of year.
1 quart acorn squash puree (Approximately. 3 roasted and peeled acorn squashes)
1 tablespoon brown sugar
3 tablespoons soft butter
1 firm apple diced
1 cup Nueske’s Bacon, cooked crisp and diced
1 cup grated Gruyere
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat acorn squash puree on the stove top. When it is hot, stir in the brown sugar and butter. Season the mixture with salt and pepper according to your personal taste.
2. Fill a one quart gratin dish (or other oven-safe dish) with the squash
3. Top the squash with the diced apple and bacon
4. Liberally sprinkle with grated gruyere cheese.
5. Bake the gratin in a preheated 400 degree oven until golden brown. (Approximately 15 minutes)